During the visit of the President of India to Austria in November 1999, two important agreements – Double taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) and Bilateral Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement (BIPA) were signed to further boost India – Austria economic ties.
The Agreement on Air services between Austria and India was signed in New Delhi by Parliament Ministers Cornaro (Austria) and S.K. Misra (India) in 1989 and was amended in an agreement signed in June 1997. The Austrian flag carrier Austrian airlines started its operations to India in Oct 1997.
An Agreement concerning Bilateral Economic Relations and Economic, Industrial, Technical and Technological cooperation was signed 1n 1999 in New Delhi between the two countries during the visit of Austrian Federal Minister for Economic Affairs Dr. Hannes Farnleitner in New Delhi. The agreement aim to promote business cooperation by way of setting up joint ventures, seminars and conferences, exchange of business delegations, participation in trade fairs exchanges and establishment of vocational training centres, production sharing agreements, aimed at maximising plant capacity utilisation , exchange of patents, licenses and other intellectual and commercial property etc.
Other important MOUs signed are a) Agreement on the establishment of the Austro- Indian Joint Economic Commission (1983) b)Protection and improvement of the environment – signed, January (1994) and c) Agreement on Infrastructure cooperation in the Health Sector (2005).
In 2007, the government of India and Austria signed an agreement on Scientific and Technological Cooperation. On the basis of mutual benefit, both countries pledged to support the development of direct cooperation between universities, higher education institutions, participation of scientist and researchers and experts in existing and future joint projects.
The list below lists the official bilateral agreements signed between India and Austria.
- March 2020 : MOU between Muziris Projects limited , Department of Tourism, Government of Kerala and Institute of Conservation, University of Applied Arts Vienna, Austria
- February 2016. MoU on cooperation in the fields of Culture and the Arts
- February 2013. Social Security Agreement between Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs and Austrian Minister for Labour, Social Affairs and Consumer Protection
- October 2012. MoU on cooperation in the field of Railways signed between Ministry of Railways of India and the Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology of Austria.
- October 2011. MoU on scientific cooperation signed between Department of Science and Technology, Government of India and Austrian Science Fund.
- October 2011. MoU on cooperation in the field of Railways signed between Ministry of Railways of India and the Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology of Austria.
- June 2010. Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in the field of Agriculture and allied sectors was signed by the representatives of the Agricultural Ministries of both countries.
- November 2007. S&T Cooperation for exchange of scientific and technological information, documentation and publications, exchange of scientists and experts and implementation of bilateral-projects of mutual interest.
- February 2005. Agreement on Infrastructure Cooperation in the Health Sector.
- November 1999. Convention of the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income.
- November 1999. Agreement on the Promotion and Protection of Investments .
- February 1999. Agreement on bilateral economic relations and economic, Industrial, technical and technological cooperation.
- June 1997. Amendment of Agreement on Air Services (which was signed in Oct. 1989) (Austrian Airlines started Operations to India Oct.1997)
- January 1994. Memorandum of Understanding on Co- operation with regard to Environment
- October 1989. Agreement on Air Services
- February 1983. Agreement on the Establishment of the Austro-Indian Joint Economic Commission